HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR
A Heavy Equipment Operator operates a variety of heavy equipment and trucks used in heavy civil construction, maintenance, and repair activities. Our Heavy Equipment Operators play a key role in our field operations teams and contribute to our projects’ overall success.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING:
- Performs heavy manual labor including, digging, lifting, climbing, carrying and installation under varying weather conditions while exposed to dampness, fumes, odors, dust, biological, electrical, mechanical and traffic hazards
- Assists in the construction, maintenance, testing and/or repair of the construction projects
- Assists with building, sealing, cleaning and adjusting manholes, frames and covers, and roadway construction
- Operates various hand tools, including but not limited to jackhammers, demo saws, paint brushes, pick, shovel, survey equipment, bull floats, rakes, wrenches, and various hand tools
- Operates power equipment including, but not limited to air compressors, pavement breakers, tampers, vibrators, vacuum pumps and various other type pumps
- Participates in traffic control
- Access the inside of manholes, enters confined spaces, and work off of ladders
- Participates in stand-by duties, which involves working alone or with coworkers at night, weekends and holidays to resolve situations that occur after normal business hours
- Removes and replaces metal manhole covers, which weigh approximately 165 pounds
- Climbs in and out of manholes of various depths
- Complies with OSHA all company safety policies and procedures
- Complies with all client-required safety policies and procedures
WHERE YOU WILL WORK:
The job location is in all areas as required in our geographical work area. The employee will work primarily outdoors, exposed to inclement weather, and in the proximity of biological, chemical, electrical and mechanical hazards.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW TO BE A GOOD FIT:
- Ability to lift heavy objects, walk and stand for long periods of time and performs strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions.
- The position requires good manual dexterity (hand, hand with arm, two hands) and multi-limb coordination.
- The position requires the ability to quickly move arms and legs.
- The employee must have excellent stamina
- Reliable transportation and willingness to travel to work in all of our geographical job locations
- Ability to report to work on time and perform the duties of the job for a complete workday in our geographical work areas
- Ability to perform overtime, night and weekend work
- Ability to work while wearing personal protective equipment such as a self-contained breathing apparatus, steel-toed shoes, rain gear, hard hats, goggles, etc.
- General knowledge of or have the ability to learn OSHA and appropriate safety precautions and procedures
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong customer focus
- Ability to quickly process information and make decisions
- Dependable and able to work independently with little supervision as well as with a team of individuals
- Experience working on construction projects is a plus
- General knowledge of construction materials, tools, equipment, and methods is a plus
- Ability to think clearly in critical, high-pressure situations
- Lift and carry 60 pounds of tools or construction materials over rough surfaces
- Ability to work in a variety of positions throughout the day including standing, stooping, bent at the waist, at waist level, shoulder height and above the head level
- Ability to perform strenuous, sometimes repetitive tasks for long hours at a time
- Possession of Driver License with a clean driving record
WHO WE HIRE:
Emery Sapp & Sons, Inc. is a drug and alcohol-free workplace. Prior to employment, a pre-employment drug and alcohol test is required. ESS is an equal opportunity employer and we make employment decisions on the basis of merit, qualifications, and competence. The Company does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, marital/familial status, sexual orientation, veterans’ status, genetic information or disability or any reason prohibited by law. EOE