HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR
A Heavy Equipment Operator operates a variety of heavy equipment and trucks used in heavy civil construction, maintenance, and repair activities. Our Heavy Equipment Operators play a key role in our field operations teams and contribute to our projects’ overall success.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING:
- Operate one or more of the following pieces of heavy equipment skillfully, safely, and in accordance with traffic laws and regulations: scrapers, motor graders or blades, excavators, track hoes, front end loaders, wheeled rollers, bulldozers, skidsteer, backhoe, haul trucks, and more
- Create level surfaces, grade slopes to specifications, remove material and thoroughly fill voids using plans and/or a surveyor as guidance
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service
- Understand utility marking and know how to dig around them, along with operating equipment in close quarters of people, underground utility electric lines
- Observe construction sites for obstacles that may compromise job safety and/or production
- Attend trainings and safety meetings
- Responsible for observing and complying with all safety and project rules
- Mentor and teach colleagues with less experience
- Perform general labor and other construction related duties as required
- Maintain equipment in proper operating condition by performing simple preventive maintenance tasks and/or making minor repairs as required
- Store and clean machinery at its designated location and note any deficiencies
- Inspects equipment prior to use to ensure that it is in proper operating condition
WHERE YOU WILL WORK:
The job location is in all areas as required in our geographical work area. The employee will work primarily outdoors, exposed to inclement weather, and in the proximity of biological, chemical, electrical and mechanical hazards.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW TO BE A GOOD FIT:
- Ability to lift heavy objects, walk and stand for long periods of time and performs strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions.
- The position requires good manual dexterity (hand, hand with arm, two hands) and multi-limb coordination.
- The position requires the ability to quickly move arms and legs.
- The employee must have excellent stamina
- Reliable transportation and willingness to travel to work in all of our geographical job locations
- Ability to report to work on time and perform the duties of the job for a complete workday in our geographical work areas
- Ability to perform overtime, night and weekend work
- Ability to work while wearing personal protective equipment such as a self-contained breathing apparatus, steel-toed shoes, rain gear, hard hats, goggles, etc.
- General knowledge of or have the ability to learn OSHA and appropriate safety precautions and procedures
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong customer focus
- Ability to quickly process information and make decisions
- Dependable and able to work independently with little supervision as well as with a team of individuals
- Experience working on construction projects is a plus
- General knowledge of construction materials, tools, equipment, and methods is a plus
- Ability to think clearly in critical, high-pressure situations
- Lift and carry 60 pounds of tools or construction materials over rough surfaces
- Ability to work in a variety of positions throughout the day including standing, stooping, bent at the waist, at waist level, shoulder height and above the head level
- Ability to perform strenuous, sometimes repetitive tasks for long hours at a time
- Possession of Driver License with a clean driving record
WHO WE HIRE:
Emery Sapp & Sons, Inc. is a drug and alcohol-free workplace. Prior to employment, a pre-employment drug and alcohol test is required. ESS is an equal opportunity employer and we make employment decisions on the basis of merit, qualifications, and competence. The Company does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, marital/familial status, sexual orientation, veterans’ status, genetic information or disability or any reason prohibited by law. EOE