An Estimator is responsible for the overall planning and coding efforts to produce comprehensive project cost estimates. The Estimator will provide data and cost analysis for estimate review and presentations. An Estimator will be responsible for developing bid strategies, site investigations, reviewing contract scope, takeoffs, detailed breakdown of cost components, indirect cost and markup analysis.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING:
- Reviews and evaluates requests for estimates.
- Reviews estimates and revisions for completeness and accuracy.
- Reviews construction documents and understands scope of work to bid.
- Prepare cost analysis by recapitulating material, labor, equipment, subcontractor, and overhead costs occurred in heavy civil projects.
- Executes take-offs of construction documents.
- Inputs take-offs data into estimating software.
- Utilize the company approved costing methodology, data, and systems to present estimate results in a detailed breakdown format suitable for use by the project manager and the project team.
- Attend client pre-bid meetings, visit job sites, and keep a record of all verbal information disseminated by the client during the pre-bid meeting.
- Prepare project cost estimate from the client’s RFQ documents or bid packages. Source and incorporate all relevant submissions required into bid package for submittal. Generate proposals and recognize and incorporate the necessary notes and exclusions.
- Must have the ability to explain details behind each estimate, including the basis of the man-hours allocated for each task, personnel resources needed to execute each task, etc.
- Maintain cost estimating tools including databases, spreadsheets, and other computer-based applications to keep updated information on past performance and industry standards.
- Coordinate estimate handoff on successful pursuits. Organize all relevant estimate information and lead handoff meeting to pass all relevant information to the operations team.
- Maintain lines of communications between company departments, project manager, and client with regards to cost estimating activities.
WHERE YOU WILL WORK:
This job operates in a professional office environment. This job may require frequent visits to the project location(s) in all areas as required in our geographical work area.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW TO BE A GOOD FIT:
- Excellent communication (verbal & written)
- Strong customer focus
- Ability to quickly process information and make decisions
- Excellent time management with the ability to meet tight deadlines
- Detail-oriented and excellent follow through
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information
- Ability to take initiative and prioritize tasks: organizational, problem-prevention and problem-solving skills
- Must be dependable and able to work independently with little supervision as well as with a team of individuals
- Possession of Driver License with a clean driving record
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or Construction Management
- Experience in Civil Construction, both in DOT and private/commercial markets
- Experience with construction estimating software
- Experience and capability of estimating earthwork, utilities and concrete paving
WHO WE HIRE:
Emery Sapp & Sons, Inc. is a drug and alcohol-free workplace. Prior to employment, a pre-employment drug and alcohol test is required. ESS is an equal opportunity employer and we make employment decisions on the basis of merit, qualifications, and competence. The Company does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, marital/familial status, sexual orientation, veterans’ status, genetic information or disability or any reason prohibited by law. EOE